Am Sonntag, den 18.09.2011, 17:12 +0200 schrieb Alexander Wilms:
Hi guys,

I am a member of the design team and have some suggestions regarding
templates-test.libreoffice.org. I already posted them on the design
mailing list and got some answers. I wondered whether it would be
possible to filter templates/extensions based on the app they are
intended for. Andres Mantke said this would be quite easy to implement,
what do you think?

Sounds good ... sometimes people have one or two applications they like
best ... then they want to have a look what might be interesting for
them (just browsing, less searching for something specific).

How could this be implemented ... the category list on the right side?
If yes, then we need a good name for that - users that know LibO/OOo
might prefer module names (e.g. "Writer"), new users require something
like ("Word processor templates (Writer)" / "Text document templates
(Writer)").

So its a decision based on our main target user groups for the
repositories ...

Cheers,
Christoph

Hi,

Am Sonntag, 18. September 2011, 13:47:57 schriebwebmaster@documentfoundation.org:

 Hi,

 I really like the idea to have a central repository for templates. However,
 I think some aspects should be improved to be as good as the old
 OpenOffice template center (http://templates.services.openoffice.org):

 1) The extension and template center should be one website, or at at least
 the top bar should contain links to each site

that would be a goal for the future. Currently this is not posible, because of the
search routine. I explained this some times ago on the website-list of LibreOffice.

If both center are in one Plone instance, you will get a mixture of extensions and
templates, if you search for "All categories". That would make the user muddleheaded.

 2) One should be able to upload a template without having to set up a
 project

This is also an goal for the future and need some time. I and hopefully some
volunteers with deep Python knowledge had to create a new Plone product/egg for this.
Here is one or more free positions, maybe for you;-)

 3) Show less categories, have more sub-categories instead; At the moment
 the number of options is a bit overwhelming

That's not posible with the current product. It needs some improvement to make this
available.

 4) Let the user filter templates based on the app it is intended for:
 Writer, Impress etc.

That's easy to implement. Make a proposal onwebsite@global.libreoffice.org  and let's
discuss there.

 5) Replace 'Template
 Templates extend your LibreOffice with additional functionality.

 Currently there are 11 projects with 7 releases available.
 Submit your Template'  with 'Submit you Template' in a bigger font size

I don't get, what you want to change here.

 6) Maybe star ratings would be more appealing

No. The change from star rating to rating by "like / don't like" gives not so much
options for manipulation and is much easier to handle for the user.

 7) Try to copy the look of libreoffice.org as close as possible

I don't think that the design had to be one to one the same with libreoffice.org.
There is currently a discussion about the main design on the design-list.

I had asked for proposals and feeback on the design- and the website-list several
times with no or nearly no response. I got only the proposal for a logo of the
extensions- and template-site, that I reworked myself a bit, to adapt it on the split
of both sites and make it more impressive.

 8) Use this favicon:http://www.libreoffice.org/favicon.ico

I can't see that there is a wrong favicon. Maybe a reload of the site or a clean out
of the cache will help.

 9) Show the highest-rated and most-downloaded Templates on the homepage

Currently the highest rated are shown by default. The user can change this in the
search bar.

 10) The introduction should be as short as on libreofice.org

Hmm. There are some information because there is the need for some contributor
information. I asked for a volunteer on the marketing list, who wants to improve the
English text (native speaker). Currently I'm missing feedback here.

 I hope my criticism wasn't too harsh, thats just how I think the repo could
 be improved.
No. I'm not a native English speaking person;-)

Regards,
Andreas
-- ## Developer LibreOffice ## Freie Office-Suite für Linux, Mac,
Windows ## http://LibreOffice.org ## Support the Document Foundation
(http://documentfoundation.org) ## Meine Seite: http://www.amantke.de
Reply: Hi Andreas, thanks for the fast reply.

    4) Let the user filter templates based on the app it is intended for:
    Writer, Impress etc.

    That's easy to implement. Make a proposal onwebsite@global.libreoffice.org  and let's
    discuss there.

I'll do so.

    5) Replace 'Template
    Templates extend your LibreOffice with additional functionality.

    Currently there are 11 projects with 7 releases available.
    Submit your Template'  with 'Submit you Template' in a bigger font size

    I don't get, what you want to change here.

I think that its not necessary to have so much text. A big fat button
would be showier.

    8) Use this favicon:http://www.libreoffice.org/favicon.ico

    I can't see that there is a wrong favicon. Maybe a reload of the site or a clean out
    of the cache will help.

libreoffice.org now uses a more detailed, gray-scale favicon instead of
the black/white one: Grayscale

    9) Show the highest-rated and most-downloaded Templates on the homepage

    Currently the highest rated are shown by default. The user can change this in the
    search bar.

I meant that below the introductory text there should be two boxes like
there:

http://templates.services.openoffice.org

Users then could immediately view the best templates, that might save some time.

Greetings

Alex