I am not to sure about the Download page. I find it too verbose. We need to make it as simple as possible for users to download our product.

If I were a new user, I would find the page confusing as there are 2 "Final" choices to pick from and because of this, a new user would have to read up on the "look at the release notes" pages to make a decision. Most users would come to this page with the simple expectation of downloading LibreOffice and not to read up on release notes. They are looking for a solid product and normally not an experimental product.

I also think we should review the idea of offering by default the LibO 3.4 version. IMO, we should be offering the default rock solid 3.3.x series rather than the still unproven 3.4 version. People downloading the 3.4 version should really be the ones reading up on the release notes and the possible list of bugs associated with that version -- they would expect to read up on notes to this version.

People downloading the rock-solid 3.3.x should not have to feel like they have to make the extra effort at downloading our star product.

We should also replace the "this" in "LibreOffice is distributed under this licence." to "LibreOffice is distributed under the LGPL license." We need to have people get used to seeing our license in type rather than as a suggestion. I would also suggest this sentence being posted under the download links. As a resulting effect, this will move the whole series of download links up in the window. The link should also not open another window/tab and rather stay in the same window -- I think this is what is normal W3C behaviour.

If possible, would it be possible to see an example of another dropdown menu window on the left hand side of the OS version or we could go to something like this[1] on the Adobe site. I have made a mockup of my suggestion[2] with all of the other points incorporated in the image.

So IMO we need to:

* change the default download from 3.4 to 3.3.x
* change the "LibreOffice is distributed under this license." to LGPL
* move this licensing sentence below the download links
* add another dropdown window on the left-hand side
* shorten the verbose links for the release notes (as in mockup)

Just my opinion.

Marc

[1] http://get.adobe.com/fr/reader/otherversions/
[2] http://www.parentreprise.com/images/LibreOffice/download3menuwin.png