Am 30.05.2011 19:53, schrieb Florian Effenberger:
That would be indeed interesting!

I have setup a default mumble-server installation on
vm3.documentfoundation.org, port 64738.
Anyone who likes to test mumble, please log in with your desired
username, then right klick on your user in the channel list and select
"register". Then drop me a short note and I will give you admin rights.

My take is that anything that is not accessible via phone is *not* good
for us. Some people have issues with firewalls or a low-bandwith
connection, and when people are on the road, they often only have a
mobile with them, so a software-only-based solution doesn't sound to
appealing to me.

I can see your point here, execpt for the fact that firewalls and
low-bandwidth connections are no issues when using mumble in my
experience. And I just found out that there are Android and iPhone
clients for Mumble. But I fear they're no real alternative to "real"
phones as they are as it seems veeeeery beta and some companies might
cause problems when using VOIP-applications from a phone.

However, we can try to combine it with phones (Asterisk :-) and we can
also use these tools when for a dedicated call, e.g. for certain teams,
this solution without phones is enough.

The channel and ACL-centric approach in mumble is very suitable for
teaming, and having another tool at hand is never wrong I think.

Cu,
Alex