Hi Bernhard, *,

On Sat, May 7, 2011 at 12:53 PM, Bernhard Dippold
<bernhard@familie-dippold.at> wrote:
Christian Lohmaier schrieb:
[...]  to debug this, can you please visit http://jsfiddle.net, paste
this:
<script type="text/javascript">
  alert(navigator.userAgent);
</script>

Here (Ubuntu 04.11) it reads

for SeaMonkey:
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; de; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420
SeaMonkey/2.0.14

OK, generic one, cannot derive the packaging tool from that...

for Firefox:
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux i686; rv:2.0.1) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/4.0.1

Similarily, the generic/original identification.

I don't know if RPM based Linux distros provide different strings that show
their name somewhere, so DEB could become default and RPM would be selected
only if the navigator.userAgent string contains any keyword.

Usually/Traditionally it is the debian based distros (AKA debian and
ubuntu) that identify as ubuntu/debian versions - be it because of
trademark stuff (i.e completely different browser name) or by adding
their branding to the identifier.

If not, we would have to consider
a) the number of users with undetected distros
b) their experience with their OS
to find out which one should become default to allow most users to install
LibreOffice without trouble.

If current releases of ubuntu and debian don't identify themselves
anymore, I'd rather vote for

c) display both at once, in seperated "boxes" / not attempting to
detect it anymore

Not sure whether we should set up a poll on the download page asking
for people to fill it out when the package-management detection did
fail.. But OTOH If people know the wrong package type was chosen, they
already got enough experience... kind of a chicken-and-egg problem.

But maybe an explicit poll that asks both groups:
What operating system are you using?
 ( ) Ubuntu
 ( ) Debian
 ( ) Mandriva
 <list a few other - but then some distros might feel left out if they
only appear as "* Other (please specify: ________)" - and to not give
special focus on one single distro, that list can be added as a
shuffled list>
Did the download selection choose the correct package type?
  ( ) Yes, all went fine
  ( ) No, I had to manually correct the suggestion
  ( ) Does not apply, as I wasn't downloading for the system I was
currently using

Doing this only for the package-selection seems like a waste, so 3 to
four other simple questions might be included at the same time

ciao
Christian