Hi, :-)

On Sun, Feb 27, 2011 at 20:17, Bernhard Dippold
<bernhard@familie-dippold.at> wrote:
Is usage of the separator *mandatory* in every English-speaking country in the world?

Well, it *is* the universal convention in every English-speaking
country... "Mandatory"? Well, Interpol does not issue arrest warrants
in case of contraventions, so you will still be able to travel
safely...

You never sound cynical - do you ?

I'm not sure if I *sound* it, but sometimes... ;-)

It's a great pleasure to discuss with you - but I can add smileys too ;-)

Thank you for the kind words. I also sometimes enjoy our debates. ;-)

I remembered the official text on the plural usage we discussed some time ago:
http://ec.europa.eu/economy_finance/publications/publication6336_en.pdf

Political correctness and expediency make me refrain from answering...

There you can read:
"The official abbreviation, according to ISO 4217, for 'euro' is 'EUR' in all languages."
But you're right, that the € sign has been introduced by the European Commission, so
my comment proved wrong: It is the officially approved symbol for EUR.

OK, so I might be cynical but have not yet gone crazy... reassuring...

So sorry for my misinterpretation - you can use € if you don't want/need to use the
ISO code.

The original suggestion was for *you* to alter the banner, but...
whatever... Anyway, have a nice Sunday. ;-)

David Nelson