Hi Klaus-Jürgen, *,

(this is the answer from Christian to my mail (sent with permission))

On Wed, Jan 19, 2011 at 4:36 PM, klaus-jürgen weghorn ol
<ol@sophia-louise.de> wrote:

> > Is it possible to put the third level in a third navigation on the top like
> > the two others?
No - I don't see a chance to a third horizontal navigation. That would
take away too much screen estate and cause too much jumping

> > Or were there some other decisions about that?
No, no real decisions. The reason why I added is at it is now is
basically the third level itself:

http://www.libreoffice.org/get-help/faq/general-faq/ e.g.

There you got the third-level entries at the left navbar (general and
licencing), and the fourth level ones in the hover-menu. How that
hover-menu is styled visually is a completely other topic, and is in
no way considered final, it is just a quick'n'dirty way with no
dedicated styling.

e.g. when you're on
http://www.libreoffice.org/get-help/faq/licensing-faq/can-i-hack-libreoffice/
(a fourth level) you see
* Top-level menu highlighted (Get Help -horizontal main menu bar)
* Second-level menu highlighted (FAQ - horizontal second level bar)
* Third-level section highlighted (Licence, indicated by the » that it
is the current one)

Fourth level can be seen when hovering over the third level entry
(current entry it is bold)

>From this fourth level page, you're able to access all FAQ pages. The
main category page by using the second-level (horizontal one), or a
individual faq-entry by using the hover menu, or a category-summary
page by using the left-navbar entries directly.

i.e. go one level up and you're at
http://www.libreoffice.org/get-help/faq/licensing-faq/
Now the Third-level section is bold and marked with », but still
you're able to access all pages of the FAQ "category"

Going up one level to http://www.libreoffice.org/get-help/faq/ - you
now have the second-level navbar at the left hand side similar to the
FAQs category, you're not "deep enough" to consider you're really in
that category, but rather browsing around, thus you get access to all
subcategories and subsub pages of the GetHelp section, i.e. the
subpages of the installation instructions and the FAQs - as those are
the only ones that have subpages.

That only few pages actually have a third level is the other main
reason why I did choose to display the second-level menu (that is
already available in the horizontal navbar) as basis. This is with the
idea to avoid showing empty left-navbar for pages where there is no
subpage, in effect forcing the page to be setup to fullwidth to not
create a "oh, looks like something is missing" impression, and in turn
then making all pages of the level fullwidth to not have one page with
navbar, and another of the same level without.

(And yes, I don't like that so many pages are set to fullwidth, as I
prefer shorter lines of text, a fullwidth page results in too long
lines, that's why the fullwidth setting also is not the default. In my
eyes the Installation one for example should not be fullwidth, neither
should the other pages of that level. When you got screenshot or other
elements to display that naturally shorten the space for the text,
then of course it is a different case, then fullwidth makes perfect
sense. But for text-only pages, I like the the narrower text-area
much, much better, but that's my personal opinion)

I hope the reasons are clear why it is like it is.

I'd be most interested in concrete suggestions rather than "ah, it's
no good" :-)
So "NO" to a third horizontal navbar, but aside from that I'm of
course open for suggestions.

Is the problem with the hover menu just the visual appearance?

ciao
Christian