We Love the new Edubuntu 10.10.... and it might be a choice that we can recommend for use at
children's summer camps (like school lab use) and have been testing this application for use in an
"Digital Photo Lab" as a educational tool to save money and keep using some really old computers
with only 128 MB or RAM.  There  are lots' of PROS,and to our surprise with 10.10 there are very
few CONS!   Still needs some attention in a few small places.

And the testing of LibreOffice on Edubuntu (only problems is that LibreOffice RC 1 is making same
mistake that the Ubuntu used version of OpenOffice made with the File-->Wizards-->Address Data
Sources being not comparable to the Sun OpenOffice's version of the same (more on that later).

Just wanted to say that we finally like using LTSP on Edubuntu since the last version with the
easier to use install.   However, to make it better we have loaded the Lubuntu (and/or LXDE) onto
it and we get much faster performance (and it uses less RAM).  We also installed Gwenview (loads
only the KDE parts we need resulting in a faster Gwenview than even on Kubuntu), we also use
Thunderbird, and never us Evolution.  We are testing out LibreOffice on this Edubuntu LXDE server
(more on that below).

The LXDE folks that I have emailed with, are very interested in getting
Lubuntu  as a "formerly adopted" distro within the Ubuntu family.

The only problem running LXDE so far on Edubuntu Client is that when we put a USB card from a
camera or USB memory stick into the client's USB port that no prompt to open the USB card file
listing  in file manager pops up like it does with Gnome running as the client desktop in Edubuntu.
  AND - when we log in every time, there is a lack of memory of the ICON placement from the
previous login session, and we have to fix that every time.

But overall - WE LOVE LXDE on EDUBUNTU SERVER!!!!!   Using that, and installed the LUBUNTU CORE
from synaptic install of these.    Very nice, much faster.

Really, the Edubuntu team should look at adopting Lubuntu as it's
default install due to the lower RAM use advantages.   It is easy to use the KDE educational apps
from the LXDE or Lubuntu desktop (and much faster to load them too), AND uses less RAM over all.

WE also use it to run RDP over the network via Rdesktop - from a MIcrosoft 2008 Server --> to the
LTSP server in order to run a few Microsoft applications that we still need to run.   The only
problem with this so far, is minor in that the CAPS LOCK key does not stay in either CAPS LOCK (or
off CAPS lock) for the Rdesktop sessions... for some reason?   There are some notes about this in
the reading I have done about Rdesktop... but, it seems that these fixes to CAPS LOCK problem
(random for some reason) have not been included in the Edubuntu distro's version of Rdesktop?   Is
Ubuntu using a much older version of Rdesktop for some special reason?

In our testing of Edubuntu - using either the Ubuntu OpenOffice version or using LibreOffice RC1 -
we have found that  LibreOffice RC1 suffers from the same problem that the default Ubuntu used
install of
 OpenOffice has... both do not list all the NEEDED list of mail clients under the
File->Wizards->Address Data Sources - that the Sun version of OpenOffice.org listed.   This is a
problem, as then we have to remove the Ubuntu's OpenOffice or LibreOffice in order to use the SUN
version because of this Address Data Sources feature.   Using the SUN version of OpenOffice we can
have the Thunderbird email contact list used as a data source for OpenOffice... This is impossible
to do with the Ubuntu OpenOffice version and is also impossible to do with the LibreOffice RC1 as
well.

It seems that the LibreOffice team is still the team that was working on the other fork of
OpenOffice... and they ignored the File-->Wizards-->Address Data Sources list that OpenOffice used
again...(maybe these are Novell folks).  With Ubuntu and Edubuntu using LibreOffice this next time,
maybe Ubuntu or Edubuntu teams can notify the
 LibreOffice team of their forgetting to include a very important OpenOffice feature?

Since the Novell folks on the other fork were putting in some MONO stuff as well, maybe the Ubuntu
folks can tell them to forget the MONO in LibreOffice too.

Otherwise, we are very pleased with the new Edubuntu. 10.10 (so far).

And will be looking forward to the LibreOffice being part of it in the next Edubuntu version (if
they have fixed the File-->Wizards-->Address Data Sources lack of a list of various email clients
contact lists as datadata sources omission mistake that they have been making.  If not fixed for
the next release of Edubuntu that will use LibreOffice, then we will have to delete LibreOffice and
install the SUN/Oracle OpenOffice instead.

Best regards,

C C Capers