[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
Re: [libreoffice-users] Date acceptance patterns and date/time fields
- Subject: Re: [libreoffice-users] Date acceptance patterns and date/time fields
- From: John Kaufmann <email@example.com>
- Date: Sat, 1 Aug 2020 00:40:26 -0400
- To: firstname.lastname@example.org
On 2020-07-31 17:28, Johnny Rosenberg wrote:
Den fre 31 juli 2020 kl 20:57 skrev John Kaufmann:
Draw also appears to be not flexible, but uses /different/
formatting for Date (MM/DD/YYYY) and Time (HH:mm:ss AM|PM). This seems to
be the worst of all possible choices, because the formats are neither
strict ISO nor as I would like.
Which language settings do you have? I'm Swedish and in draw I can choose
between the following date formats when inserting a date field:
DD MMMM YYYY
DD MMM YYYY
NN "den" D MMM YY
NNNND MMMM YYYY
When inserting a time field I have the following options:
Those are all in Draw?! [BTW: I'll bet that ambiguous format "YY-DD-MM" is a nightmare begging to be mistaken.] In my version (US, 22.214.171.124, W10) Draw offers no alternative Date or Time formats. It's strange that localization would make that functional difference. Having said that ...
Though my localization is en-US, I choose "Locale setting: English (Canada)" just to get the additional "Date acceptance patterns" (including ISO) -- which is a reminder that I never understood the OO/LO obsession with choosing date and time formats for the user. The choice restrictions limit users, require stupid and tedious workarounds, and are an unnecessary burden on developers, who have much better things to do than define date and time formats for localizations and languages. This thread seems another example of the wrongheadedness of that approach. Having said that ...
I still don't know the answer to my earlier basic question of whether the "Date acceptance patterns" are related to the date format restrictions in some modules like Calc and Draw.
Thanks for letting me know the this issue is far from settled in LO.
To unsubscribe e-mail to: email@example.com
Posting guidelines + more: https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Netiquette
List archive: https://listarchives.libreoffice.org/global/users/
|[libreoffice-users] Date acceptance patterns and date/time fields||John Kaufmann <firstname.lastname@example.org>|
|Re: [libreoffice-users] Date acceptance patterns and date/time fields||Johnny Rosenberg <email@example.com>|
- Prev by Date: Re: [libreoffice-users] LibreOffice Base (previously copying data from Calc to Base)...
- Next by Date: Re: [libreoffice-users] Date acceptance patterns and date/time fields
- Previous by thread: Re: [libreoffice-users] Date acceptance patterns and date/time fields
- Next by thread: [libreoffice-users] LibreOffice Base (previously copying data from Calc to Base)...