Re: [libreoffice-users] Date acceptance patterns and date/time fields

On Fri, 31 Jul 2020 23:28:54 +0200
Johnny Rosenberg <gurus.knugum@gmail.com> wrote:

> Den fre 31 juli 2020 kl 20:57 skrev John Kaufmann <kaufmann@nb.net>:
>
> > For many years my filing has used a kind of 'modified-ISO' 12-digit
> > date/time pattern: YYYY-MMDD-HHmm. Advantages are that it is
> > compact, easily read, sorts and is a valid filename string in all
> > OS.
> >
> > Writer has very flexible field formats, giving the option to
> > format Date fields as YYYY-MMDD, Time fields as HHmm, and either
> > Date or Time fields as YYYY-MMDD-HHmm -- so it has everything I
> > want, with complete flexibility to format as needed.
> >
> > Calc appears to be not flexible, but seems to use strict ISO
> > formatting for Date (YYYY-MM-DD) and Time (HH:mm:ss) fields. /Within
> > cells/, of course, there is flexibility to format Date and Time as
> > desired.
> >
> > Draw also appears to be not flexible, but uses /different/
> > formatting for Date (MM/DD/YYYY) and Time (HH:mm:ss AM|PM). This
> > seems to be the worst of all possible choices, because the formats
> > are neither strict ISO nor as I would like.
> >

> Which language settings do you have? I'm Swedish and in draw I can
> choose between the following date formats when inserting a date field:
> YYYY-DD-MM (default)
> DD MMMM YYYY
> YY-DD-MM
> DD MMM YYYY
> NN "den" D MMM YY
> NNNND MMMM YYYY
>
> When inserting a time field I have the following options:
> HH:mm:ss (default)
> HH:mm
> HH:mm:ss,00
> HH:mm AM/PM
> HH:mm:ss AM/PM
> HH:mm:ss,00 AM/PM
>
> It's not total freedom, but at least the ISO formats are there.
>
> I agree though that it's strange that fields don't work the same over
> the whole suite. Seems like someone unnecessarily re-invented the
> wheel, and did that more than onceā€¦

I agree with those sentiments. I'm in the UK and Draw doesn't offer me
any choices I'm interested in, so I simply won't use it - it's not fit
for purpose IMHO. Why can't I use the same formats as you?

I've heard, but not experienced, that a Danish locale may be quite
useful, if the urge to use the program is stronger than common sense.