On 2020-07-08 10:41, James Knott wrote:
I came across this article:

https://betanews.com/2020/07/06/libreoffice-money/

Umm... when you begin this way:

"... LibreOffice ... is actually quite good, although Microsoft's Office
is far superior."

you lose all credibility. [FWIW, in my experience, LO is more capable than
MSO.]

I was just going to write the same thing???
I use Office at work, or rather Excel (very little Word), and at least
according to my experience, LibreOffice Calc is far superior to Excel.
There are things that I can't do at all in Excel, at least not without some
clumsy workarounds, and I ran into bugs in Excel that I don't have a clue
how to get around.

One funny thing is that when I finally gave up on Excel regarding a certain
thing that it can't do, I installed LibreOffice on my work computer, just
to be able to do that, and I could, but I ran into a bug that I didn't
understand. So I brought that file home for further experiments at home, in
Manjaro. It turned out that I couldn't replicate the bug in Manjaro! I
still can in Windows 10 at work.

The only thing I can think of that Excel does better is recording macros.
The LibreOffice Calc macro recorder sucks very, very bad, and I never use
it. But Excel's macro recorder isn't perfect either. I remember once when I
recorded a macro in Excel and then tried to run it. It stopped at one
certain line and threw an error message saying something like ???invalid
command???. I just removed that line and the macro worked as intended, so I
can't stop wondering why Excel added that line in the first place. It
didn't seem to do anything useful and it didn't work anyway???
Another time I wrote a function that threw and error at a certain line.
When I copied the line above it, having it appearing twice, it worked.
Since I don't like that kind of problem solving, I ended up rewriting the
whole function from scratch, and this time it worked, even though I'm
pretty sure I wrote pretty much the same thing as the first time??? Excel
just feels so??? random??? Maybe it's all my fault, yes probably, but that
doesn't help. At least I can say for sure that Excel is not for me???
(especially at home where I use Manjaro only).

LibreOffice is not perfect in any way, but I feel that Excel is way worse.

Also in some aspects I think Office is a mess. I remember once when looking
for a setting in Excel. I just couldn't find it, so I had to search the
web. Finally I found the setting. In Word??? ????

Maybe a year ago or so, I started to write down everything that I found
that I thought Excel did worse than LibreOffice Calc, but after a while I
got tired of it, so I ended up with only 8 things, but I think I could make
the list much bigger.

Kind regards

Johnny Rosenberg

You should see what Excel does to anything that looks like it could be a date. We have a field that contains text like, "01-21-34", that Excel turns into Jan 21 2034 or some other silly thing like that. There's no way to stop that from happening no matter how you format the column.

We had to write a C# program to handle the data because Excel couldn't figure out what to do with it.

--
    _
   ??v??