Hi Regina,

On 09/07/2020 23:21, Regina Henschel wrote:
Hi Philip,

Philip Jackson schrieb am 09-Jul-20 um 22:37:
I have the page number field in the footer of my template. This template will be used for a series
of small documents to be issued in pdf form. My intention is to use Writer to export to pdf and
then use pdf-shuffler or similar to append a first page as title page without any page number and
prepared in different software.
Why not use Writer for the first page?

Because I wanted to use an image with title text using a web font which I don't have locally. So I
prepared the title page at an online site.
In anticipation , I edited the page no. field to have an offset of 1 so that my page numbering in
Writer would start at 2.

That is the wrong tool for your purpose. Go to the very first paragraph of the page. Open the properties of that paragraph. Go to tab
"Text flow". Enable Breaks "Insert". Enable "With page style". Enable "Page number". Enter 2.

The tool "Offset" has a totally different use case. It is used in letter for the information in the
footer, that this page of the letter has a following page. And for this use case it is the correct behavior,
that it is empty for the last page of the letter

Thank you for the info on 'Offset'.  I reset it back to 0 so that removes that part of the problem.

Then I tried to follow what you suggested but the result was strange because I thought that the tab
"Text Flow"  was arrived at by editing the paragraph style which is in this case an H1 heading.  Of
course that numbered every page which started with an H1 heading to 2. So I had lots of page 2's in the doc.
:-)   :-)

I had never realised after years of working with Writer, that an individual paragraph could have its
properties modified by arriving at the 'Text Flow' tab through the sidebar Properties > paragraph
section.  Once I realised that that was what you meant, it all turned out well and the whole document
now starts at page 2 and numbers correctly to the end.

Thanks and best regards,
Philip