Hi Robert,

Thanks so much for answering, but I think you misunderstood the question, which is essentially
about the behavior of *Character* styles, not Paragraph styles. I'm sorry if that was not clear. To
help correct, I will insert the proper context in the snippet you quoted below, and begin by
quoting a little more from the original post, for what I hope will be adequate context:

In most cases the Paragraph and Character styles seem to coexist with the rules above --
essentially, that the Character style modifies the character attributes of the Paragraph style --
but something different happens with relative font size: the character size is some percentage, but
of what? - apparently /not/ of the character size specified in the relevant Paragraph style, or
even in the Paragraph Default Style.  All percentages seem to be based on a 12pt font, regardless
of the font size specified in the Paragraph style.

With that fuller context, let's proceed: