You can find an image by using the navigator (the compass-shaped icon
on the side bar). There is an "Images" selection that opens, and you
get the list of inserted images in your document. Double-clicking on an
entry selects the image and brings you there.
The funky behaviour you are describing about your image is
unfortunately something that I do not know how to resolve. The only way
that I found that will consistently "work" is to always follow the
insert -> anchor as character -> do something with the image steps.
Anything else has always been touch and go for me. Unfortnately, you
may need to re-insert and start again.
I hope this helps.Rémy.