Re: [libreoffice-users] Logic of headers (and footers) or my lack of it!

Looking at your requirements I was curious if using captions for the
images could give you what you want.
If the caption was the name of the document then you can handle the
different cases of single image documents vs multi-image documents in
a straight forward way;
Single image caption is just the name of the document.
A document spanning two images would have the name of the document and
which page it is.
There is perhaps a bonus also in that you could generate a table of
images at the front of the document which uses the caption text and
offers the option to create an internal link to the page with the
image.
Just a thought.

Best wishes,

Drew