Re: [libreoffice-users] Localized Basic macros

Den sön 10 maj 2020 kl 22:26 skrev jean-francois <
jean-francois.nifenecker@laposte.net>:

> Hi Johnny,
>
> Le 10/05/2020 à 14:35, Johnny Rosenberg a écrit :
> > I'm playing a little with macros (my level is probably one step or two
> > above beginner) and making extensions out of them. I found a few examples
> > online and I got it to work.
> >
> > I don't know if I'm going to share anything in the future (because I
> don't
> > think my extensions will fulfil anyone else's needs than my own and they
> > are probably poorly written anyway), but if I want to do that, there's a
> > minor problem: My macros interact with the user (usually me) in Swedish,
> > and I guess it would be a good idea to at least write an English version
> > for sharing with others.
> >
> > However, it would be nice if the extension adapts to the user's locale
> when
> > installed (and falls back to English when the user's locale is not
> > available, that is in most cases). Is that possible? A link to some guide
> > of some sort would be appreciated. I found nothing so far.
>
> IMO, as English is the lingua franca of IT, writing *any* code should
> always be done in English (including comments). Using any other language
> leads to what you're experiencing: no one will read the code, other than
> a native.
>
> As for user's interactions, yes, a translation into English could be of
> use.

And that's all I want to do, a translation to the user's language. I never
intended to translate my comments or anything else to Swedish, except
things that directly communicates with the user, such as the MsgBox command
and the Print command.
I guess that if I can't have those translated, I could always replace them
with custom dialogues, but it seems a little bit like ”isn't there an
easier way?”.

Kind regards

Johnny Rosenberg