Re: [libreoffice-users] Expandable brackets in writer document, formula maybe?

Hi John,

John Jason Jordan schrieb am 22-Feb-20 um 23:50:
LO Writer in 6.3.4.2 on Xubuntu 18.04 up to date, installed from the
PPA, from LO.

I know this can be done, but the how escapes me. I need to produce
expandable brackets in Writer like the following (but here in the e-mail
I have to use single brackets - just assume that they are all one left
and one right bracket):

[ +consonantal ]
[ -voice ]
[ +continuant ]

I need the words aligned vertically, as you would decimal align numbers
in a table.

I tried Insert > Object > Formula with the following:

left [ +consonantal
-voice
+continuant right ]

But it all came out on a single line.

left [ stack{ "+ consonantal"#"- voice"#"+ continuant" } right none

In case you like mathematical + and - you need to provide a dummy left operand.

left [ stack{""+"consonantal"#""-"voice"#""+"continuant} right none

Furthermore, I managed to change
the font to the same font that I am using for the document

For text in quotations marks as above, it would be inside the formula editor menu Format > Fonts... > Modify > Text

, but I can't
figure out how to set the point size for it.

The font size is inside formula editor menu Format > Font Size. It is likely that you only need to adapt "Base size".

Any ideas?

Write the lines as normal single line paragraphs and use text flow "keep with next" or write them as one paragraph with line feeds. Insert a bracket-shape at the start of the first line and anchor it "at character". The bracket-shapes are in the sub-list "Symbol Shapes".

Kind regards
Regina