Ken,

Have this problem sometimes as well (even in 5.1.6.2, have to use this version because of this version of the mail merge function)
it seems to be a file locking problem:
When having a spreadsheet open, then trying to open a merge document that accesses to an LO Base address query as data spirce I get the 'can't find the JRE...' error.
workaround:
close all files, exit LO
open LO Base address query
try to edit the query (here would apear the JRE error message)
[save, if edited] close query
save query (important, to write the modifications to the files)
[close LO Base]
load merge document (LO Writer)
Tools / Options / LibreOffice / Advanced / Activate 'Use a Java runtime environment'
after a few seconds the JRE entry apears
OK
and everything works fine

Hanspeter