I had LO 6.3.3.2 installed, downloaded from LO. But I was unable to
correct the line spacing in the Styles and Formatting toolbar, and
trying to fix it I discovered that it would hang if I clicked on Tools >
Customize. After much effort I gave up and uninstalled 6.3.3.2, and
then installed 6.07 from the Ubuntu repositories. Tools > Customize
no longer hangs the program, but now I have other problems.

I keep my toolbars floating off to the right. Here is an image:
https://imgur.com/YISfwld

The Formatting toolbar was missing more than half the icons, replaced
with the text for the function. For example, instead of an icon showing
a character with a line above it, I saw just 'overline.' I tried to add
the correct icon by customizing the toolbar, but there were only a
couple dozen icons available, and none for overline. I have installed
all the themes I can find and, although in Tools > Options I can now
select different sets of icons, the only one which has all the icons is
Breeze. Are there more icon sets available somewhere?

There is an even worse problem. I cannot view the Styles and Formatting
toolbar at all. When I select it the toolbar flashes for a split second
on the screen and then disappears. It doesn't matter if I select it
with Formatting > Styles and Formatting or with F11. With 6.3.3.2 the
line spacing for the styles was off, and now the toolbar can't even be
viewed. I'm going from bad to worse.

Furthermore, the scrollbars are the thickness of a pencil lead; just
about impossible to hit with the mouse. I know that this is because of
an issue with gtk3, but the gtk3 integration package is properly
installed. The scrollbars appear correctly in all my other
applications, so I don't know why they are unusable in LO.

LO is unusable without styles and scrollbars. Can someone offer
suggestions for how to fix these issues?