At 17:35 12/12/2019 +1300, David Noname wrote:
Thank you for your prompt reply, Brian.  It is much appreciated

No probs!

Perhaps I didn't explain myself clearly enough. In simple terms, I want to know whether there is any way that when I enter a new date in Column D it will automatically increase the current value in Column B by 1.

I guessed that you meant something like this - but no, it wasn't clearly stated.

If you could achieve what you ask, the result would be hopelessly fragile. We all make mistakes. Suppose that you enter your new date incorrectly. The value in column B will be incremented. Then you need to enter the correct date, whereupon the value in column B will be incremented again. How would you then correct the situation? If you tried to correct the value in column B manually, you would overwrite whatever formula there was doing the trick for you in the first place - and disable it. And what if you entered a correct new date but mistakenly for the wrong person?

There is, I think, a solution, and that is to separate data entry from the display you actually want to see. Construct a separate area - quite possibly on a separate sheet of the spreadsheet - for your data entry. This will have a row or column for each of your named "reactors", and you will add dates here instead of in the results sheet directly. Note that you *add* dates, so that you assemble a list of dates, rather than overwriting a single entry with the most recent date. Now all you need to do in column B of your display table is to construct a formula which counts the number of dates currently listed for that person in the data entry area. And in column D of the display table you will similarly construct a formula which picks up the most recent date from the data entry area.

With this scheme, any mistaken entries can be corrected with the display table always picking up the corrected values.

I trust this helps.

Brian Barker