Re: [libreoffice-users] Problem with chapter numbering and TOC.

On 18.11.2019 14:23, Philip Jackson wrote:
> Hi Dave:
>
> Of course, my note was written before I saw your reply to Regina. It
> hadn't been received by the list at that time.
> See below for other thoughts:
>
> On 18/11/2019 10:35, DaveB wrote:

>> Look at my reply to Regina. My own invention is the word "Chapter" plus
>> a single space in the Before field.
>
> When I  said 'your own invention' I wasn't explicit enough. I didn't
> take the 'Before' and 'After' fields' contents as 'your invention'. I
> took them as fields already prescribed as adjuncts to the Chapter number
> (the subject of the dialog box).  I was instead wishing to refer to
> material that the author would 'normally' write in the H1 heading at the
> top of his new chapter.
>
> Here 'normally' is used, I admit, in reference to what I would do and
> what I have seen in many other books, that is some sort of short
> description of the order of one to five words. To this group of 'one to
> five words', LO's chapter numbering would add the number plus the
> contents of the 'Before' and 'After' fields either side of the number
> and before your choice of short description.
>
> Example for a possible first chapter of a book :   "1 - Introduction"
>
> where the 'Before' field has been left empty, the digit 1 is the number
> automatically supplied, the 'After' field contains
> chapter description.
>
> This is what Regina meant when she said your headings have no content
> and you should supply some text even if only a blank space.
>
> [Sorry, I cannot find your short one page example anymore - only the
> longer "World's Most Amazing Book" file]
>
> As a check and demonstration, go to the page in your 'TOC test.odt' file
> where the new chapter 2 starts and highlight the heading on the page by
> clicking after the figure 2 and dragging to the beginning of the line.
> You'll see that nothing is selected - you can't drag to the start of the
> line. 'Chapter 2' is just the 'Before' and 'After' fields surrounding
> the figure 2 and with no other content.I have unzipped both the origin
> documents that brought this issue to my
>
>> attention and the simplified example I created, but I have been unable
>> to find any issue with their internal structure.
>>
>> I am having some difficulty working out what you mean by adding space
>> between the TOC and the (first line ?). Could I ask you to send me a
>> copy of your example file off list please?
>
> As I said, I couldn't identify what was causing the lack of correct
> display of the first chapter in your short example document. I assumed
> that it was somehow connected with the proximity to the TOC but I didn't
> exhaust the checking I just made my own example doc which I'll be
> pleased to send you by PM. I'm not sure it's useful to spend much time
> on it. And in any case, I didn't keep your file and the only one I can
> find today is the Word's Most Amazing Book file.
>
> Best,
>
> Philip

Hi Philip,

Thanks for coming back on this. There was only ever one "TOC test.odt"
sample document, which had a title page "World's Most Amazing Book" and
a few "New Chapter" styled pages.

Thanks to Regina's explanation and your further clarification here, I
now understand the situation.

While it is IMO totally wrong to require the user to add ANYTHING to the
outline style generated content to obtain a working TOC, that is the way
it has been coded and we users just have to live with it.

Best Regards
Dave