On 18.11.2019 14:23, Philip Jackson wrote:
Hi Dave:

Of course, my note was written before I saw your reply to Regina. It
hadn't been received by the list at that time.
See below for other thoughts:

On 18/11/2019 10:35, DaveB wrote:
On 17.11.2019 16:26, Philip Jackson wrote:
On 14/11/2019 07:58, Dave Barton wrote:
I have set up chapter numbering as per the help page
https://tinyurl.com/vsq77lu and created a "New Chapter" page style.

After inserting a manual page break with the "New Chapter" page style I
set the first paragraph style to "Heading 1" and the correct chapter
name/number is displayed both on the page and in Navigator.

However, when I insert a TOC into the document no chapters appear in
the

Any thoughts or pointers would be welcome.

Thanks Dave

Looking at your original document, it is clear that in the chapters you
have created, all that appears in the heading of each chapter is the
'Before' and 'After' elements that you have specified in the dialog box
of Tools > Chapter Numbering. As Regina states in her reply, you have
not typed anything of your own invention.
Look at my reply to Regina. My own invention is the word "Chapter" plus
a single space in the Before field.

When I  said 'your own invention' I wasn't explicit enough. I didn't
take the 'Before' and 'After' fields' contents as 'your invention'. I
took them as fields already prescribed as adjuncts to the Chapter number
(the subject of the dialog box).  I was instead wishing to refer to
material that the author would 'normally' write in the H1 heading at the
top of his new chapter.

Here 'normally' is used, I admit, in reference to what I would do and
what I have seen in many other books, that is some sort of short
description of the order of one to five words. To this group of 'one to
five words', LO's chapter numbering would add the number plus the
contents of the 'Before' and 'After' fields either side of the number
and before your choice of short description.

Example for a possible first chapter of a book :   "1 - Introduction"

where the 'Before' field has been left empty, the digit 1 is the number
automatically supplied, the 'After' field contains
chapter description.

This is what Regina meant when she said your headings have no content
and you should supply some text even if only a blank space.

[Sorry, I cannot find your short one page example anymore - only the
longer "World's Most Amazing Book" file]

As a check and demonstration, go to the page in your 'TOC test.odt' file
where the new chapter 2 starts and highlight the heading on the page by
clicking after the figure 2 and dragging to the beginning of the line.
You'll see that nothing is selected - you can't drag to the start of the
line. 'Chapter 2' is just the 'Before' and 'After' fields surrounding
the figure 2 and with no other content.I have unzipped both the origin
documents that brought this issue to my

attention and the simplified example I created, but I have been unable
to find any issue with their internal structure.

I am having some difficulty working out what you mean by adding space
between the TOC and the (first line ?). Could I ask you to send me a
copy of your example file off list please?

As I said, I couldn't identify what was causing the lack of correct
display of the first chapter in your short example document. I assumed
that it was somehow connected with the proximity to the TOC but I didn't
exhaust the checking I just made my own example doc which I'll be
pleased to send you by PM. I'm not sure it's useful to spend much time
on it. And in any case, I didn't keep your file and the only one I can
find today is the Word's Most Amazing Book file.

Best,

Philip

Hi Philip,

Thanks for coming back on this. There was only ever one "TOC test.odt"
sample document, which had a title page "World's Most Amazing Book" and
a few "New Chapter" styled pages.

Thanks to Regina's explanation and your further clarification here, I
now understand the situation.

While it is IMO totally wrong to require the user to add ANYTHING to the
outline style generated content to obtain a working TOC, that is the way
it has been coded and we users just have to live with it.

Best Regards
Dave