Re: [libreoffice-users] Zotero toolbar doesn't show in Libreoffice

On Wed, 23 Oct 2019 08:08:13 -0700 (MST)
Sebastian <sebastiancoellen@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi!
>
> I am having problems installing Zotero in Libre Office. The Zotero
> toolbar simply doesn't show. I am thankful for any assistance!
>
> Below, I will (I) explain the procedures so far, (II) put my
> question(s).
>
> (I)
>
> - I have downloaded the latest version of Zotero and updated
> LibreOffice on my Mac.
> - In Zotero > Tools > Add-Ons > Extensions, "Zotero LibreOffice
> Integration" is installed and enabled.
> - In LibreOffice > Preferences > Advanced, "Use a Java runtime
> environment" is checked.
> - When I check the System and click Java, it says that Java is
> installed and up to date.
>
> BUT:
>
> - There is no Zotero toolbar in LibreOffice under View > Toolbars.
> - When I go to Zotero > Cite > Word Processors, it says that the
> LibreOffice Add-On is not installed, and when I click Install, the
> following message shows:
>
> <http://document-foundation-mail-archive.969070.n3.nabble.com/file/t496095/Sk%C3%A4rmavbild_2019-10-23_kl.png>
>
> It says, the PlugIn requires the "Java Development Kit".
>
> (II)
>
> So, from the above, Java seems to be the problem. But (from the
> above) I have Java. Or not? Or do I need some special Java-thingy?
> Could someone perhaps please post a link with or describe exactly
> what needs to be done.
>
> I am not computer-savvy, so please use a language for dummies!

Java is a computer language. If you want to run programs written in it
on a computer you need at least the Java Runtime Environment (JRE). If
you want to write programs in it, you need extra files and must install
the Java Development Kit (JDK) instead (it contains the JRE).

To complicate matters, some programs need the JDK instead of the JRE to
run. It seems that the PlugIn is one such. It may be that you have the
JRE installed on your computer and that the computer is reporting this
as having 'Java' installed in order to simplify things for ordinary
people. If so, you need to find and install the JDK instead. (and
whoever decided that saying 'Java' instead of 'Java Runtime
Environment' was simpler and better needs shooting in the head :)

I'm afraid I can't tell you how to do that because I'm not familiar
with Macs.