Aaaaaaaa! Sorry, Stephan Bergmann! I accidentally replied to you, while my
intention was to reply to the list.
Here it is, this time to the list, and this time with further comments at
the end:

Den fre 18 okt. 2019 kl 20:03 skrev Johnny Rosenberg <gurus.knugum@gmail.com
:

Den tis 15 okt. 2019 kl 08:53 skrev Stephan Bergmann <sbergman@redhat.com
:

On 14/10/2019 21:02, Johnny Rosenberg wrote:
When using the experimental features in Basic I can declare thing in a
more
specific way, for instance:

*Dim SomeSheet As com.sun.star.sheet.XSpreadsheet*
Without the experimental features enabled, I had to write this instead:
*Dim SomeSheet As Object*

Is there a way to find out for sure what type some object is supposed
to be?
For instance, if I use Object instead and then look at it with XRay, in
the
field just above the big field with all the
properties/methods/services/etc, it says
*com.sun.star.sheet.XSpreadsheet*,
so that could be a clue, but it doesn't seem to always be usable.
For instance, when declaring a range, XRay says
*com.sun.star.table.XCellRange*, but declaring it like that won't work.
*com.sun.star.sheet.XSheetCellRange* will. How can I figure this out?

(I have no idea what information that XRay tool prints, but:)  A UNO
object can implement multiple unrelated interfaces, and those interfaces
in turn can each derive from (multiple) other interfaces.  If you look
at the UNO API documentation
(<https://api.libreoffice.org/docs/idl/ref/index.html>, or the udkapi
and offapi modules in the core git source repo), you see that
css.sheet.XSheetCellRange is derived from css.table.XCellRange.  The
former adds one additional method, getSpreadsheet, so if you want to
call that method you need to dim your var as the former, otherwise it
suffices to dim it as the latter.

At the moment I'm struggling with a search descriptor. XRay says
*com.sun.star.util.XSearchDescriptor*, but that only throws an error at
*SomeRange.createSearchDescriptor()*.

If you search for "createSearchDescriptor", there's css.util.XSearchable
that has a method of that name, so you probably have an object at hand
that implements that interface, and to hold that object you need a var
that is dim'ed accordingly.

This is what I don't really understand, I think.
From
https://api.libreoffice.org/docs/idl/ref/interfacecom_1_1sun_1_1star_1_1util_1_1XSearchable.html#a5e7b729c2d45dea6fa517b96e4e3feea
:
com::sun::star::util::XSearchDescriptor
<https://api.libreoffice.org/docs/idl/ref/interfacecom_1_1sun_1_1star_1_1util_1_1XSearchDescriptor.html>
createSearchDescriptor (
)
 creates a SearchDescriptor
<https://api.libreoffice.org/docs/idl/ref/servicecom_1_1sun_1_1star_1_1util_1_1SearchDescriptor.html>
which contains properties that specify a search in this container

It seems like Dim as com.sun.star.util.XSearchDescriptor should do it (and
both xray and mri describe them as such when Dim as Object, right after the
oRange.createSearchDescriptor() line).

I'm obviously approaching this the wrong way. Or I totally misunderstand
what ”and to hold that object you need a var that is dim'ed accordingly”
actually means.

I looked a little more into it and I finally got it to work. I'm not sure I
still understand this, but this works:

*Private Function ItemFound(sItem As string, _   oRange As
com.sun.star.sheet.XSheetCellRange) As Boolean Dim oDescriptor As
com.sun.star.util.XReplaceDescriptor
oDescriptor=oRange.createSearchDescriptor()*
*⁝*
*⁝*
*End Function*

So the answer to my question seems to be
”com.sun.star.util.XReplaceDescriptor”. Exactly why is a little blurry to
me at the moment.

Kind regards

Johnny Rosenberg