On 12/09/2019 22:19, Johnny Rosenberg wrote:

Aaah! I think I got it.
It seems to be different depending on how you drew the original shape. If I
select a square and draw it, then uncheck the keep ratio check box in
"Position and Size", then I get those strange results in my previous post.
If I, on the other hand, draw a rectangle while holding the shift key to
create a square in the first place, then when I drag and release to change
its size, everything works as expected.
I'äm not sure why, though. So something might be wrong after all, but not
sure if it's a bug or a feature.

Johnny Rosenberg

Am I missing something in this discussion?

The OP asked:
"....let's say I want to make it larger vertically and as click & hold and drag down I want it to not just get bigger vertically down but symmetrically up too;..."

It seems to me he's asking, not for proportions to be kept the same, but for resizing not to move the centre of the object.

So in Inkscape, I drag a handle on the right of the object: right edge moves. I shift-drag on the right, and both right and left edges move, keeping the centring the same.

Control-drag keeps proportions the same, moving right, top, bottom edges; control-shift drag keeps proportions and centring the same, moving all 4 edges.

OTOH in Draw, dragging a right edge moves the right edge; shift-dragging moves right, top and bottom, keeping proportions and shifting the centre horizontally. And that's all the choice you have.

It's been an annoying (mis-)feature as long as I remember.

--
Mike Scott (unet2 <at> [deletethis] scottsonline.org.uk)
Harlow Essex England