Re: [libreoffice-users] Resize object symmetrically?

Den tors 12 sep. 2019 kl 23:06 skrev Dan Lewis <elderdanlewis@gmail.com>:

> On 9/12/19 16:47, Johnny Rosenberg wrote:
> > Den tors 12 sep. 2019 kl 18:35 skrev Dan Lewis <elderdanlewis@gmail.com
> >:
> >
> >> Strange, when I create a square image, I can shift+drag to resize the
> >> image symmetrically. This is using 6.3.1.2. In my case, I released the
> >> mouse button *before* shift. I did this with a corner and both sides
> >> (top and bottom). The order of which (shift, mouse) is released does
> >> matter when using anyone of the sides. It does not matter when using the
> >> corner. Release shift before the mouse produces a rectangle. Releasing
> >> the mouse first produces a larger square.
> >>
> >> Dan
> >>

> > Okay, so now I tested this with 6.2.6.2. Here are my results:
> > *Corner*
> > Releasing Shift first: *Square*
> > Releasing mouse button first: *Rectangle*
> > *Side*
> > Releasing Shift first: *Rectangle *
> > Releasing mouse button first: *Rectangle *
> >
> > So it's at least possible to drag and release to a square, but the result
> > is NOT the same as the pre-drawn square that you see while moving the
> mouse.
> > I think this feature needs a little more work. It's not a perfect "what
> you
> > see is what you get", as far as I'm concerned. Why the pre-drawing if the
> > result is going to be something else anyway?
> >

> > Johnny Rosenberg
>
> I just retested this with 6.2.6.1 (pre-release from the LO website). I
> get a square using either side or a corner when releasing the mouse
> button first. Perhaps this is the difference: I continue to hold down
> the shirt key until the square is redrawn. It is the exact same size as
> what it was just before releasing the mouse.
>
> Personally, I still think that using the Position and Size dialog to set
> the size desired.
>
> Dan

I just tested again and now the results were different. maybe I was just
tired or something. Now it draws a square (or a rectangle with its original
ratio) if I release the mouse button first, no matter if I drag a corner or
a side.

I agree that using the dialogue is desired, but that doesn't mean that
other ways to do it shouldn't work as designed. But it seems to work after
all, I'm not sure what I did wrong before. I'll test again.

Aaah! I think I got it.
It seems to be different depending on how you drew the original shape. If I
select a square and draw it, then uncheck the keep ratio check box in
"Position and Size", then I get those strange results in my previous post.
If I, on the other hand, draw a rectangle while holding the shift key to
create a square in the first place, then when I drag and release to change
its size, everything works as expected.
I'äm not sure why, though. So something might be wrong after all, but not
sure if it's a bug or a feature.

Johnny Rosenberg