 Thanks for this info,it was the use of alt-gr key that i didnt know - vety helpful. Ive looked at
several variants of english keyboard layouts and havent found one with the macron vowels. Since
later i will probably also want caron vowels as well i dont think i'll go down that route. Also i
want classical greek chars, and whilst i know that it is technically possible to get them from the
keyboard (i used to do that when i used Windows) there are far too many key combinations to
temember. When i get the chance i'll check for any ubuntu updates that might resolve the problems
with Onboard; failing that i will try to write my own simple customisrd onscreen keyboard to
conveniently select the characters i want - just as soon as i find out how to get a tkinter program
to output the characters to a different running program,ie output the character without the tkinter
app 'stealing' the focus. (I'll probably do that in any case at some stage but i don't know when as
I've also got other pressing issues that have arisen since reinstalling ubuntu).
Best