Re: [libreoffice-users] Reveal code, old macros convert them to LO

On 2019-07-05 04:10 PM, Virgil Arrington wrote:
> Some 25 years ago, the government law office where I worked used
> WordPerfect exclusively and we all relied on Reveal Codes, which was a
> necessity because of the way we worked with WP. Although it had some
> style functionality, we never used it; instead we used WP like a digital
> typewriter, inserting formatting codes as we typed. Because of the way
> WP inserted formatting codes, one could do all sorts of things that
> today's word processors might forbid, such as changing line spacing or
> margins in the middle of a paragraph. It wasn't unusual that, after a
> while, a document would get full of formatting codes that were neither
> needed nor desired, so reveal codes was necessary to sort it all out and
> clean things up.

I bet that office still uses FAX.  ;-)

Many years ago, I used Wordstar 2000 at work and it had similar issues
with all the formatting codes.  I'd often go through documents clearing
up the mess others had created because they didn't understand what the
formatting codes did.  Like WP, Wordstar had a method to display the
mess^H^H^H^H formatting created with those codes.