Re: [libreoffice-users] Re: AltGr functionality

On Sun, 16 Jun 2019 17:18:19 +0200
Johnny Rosenberg <gurus.knugum@gmail.com> wrote:

> Den sön 16 juni 2019 kl 16:19 skrev Peter Maunder
> <Peter_Maunder@cantab.net
> >:
>
> > I suggest you check your system/keyboard settings to sort out the
> > default system settings.
>

> I already know that it works with my default settings. It's only with
> my own layout it doesn't work. The main reason for that is probably
> that my own layout is the only one that use those keys for typing
> characters (with AltGr).
>

> > How you do this will depend on your system first not LibO
> > and the actual keyboard, language and brand. What operating system
> > and language are you using, and what keyboard setting is defined?
> >

> Manjaro and I use a standard Swedish keyboard.
>

> > AltGr is controlled by your system KEYBOARD setting. Technically
> > they are called LEVEL 3 and LEVEL 4 (AltGr and SHIFT-ALtGr). Level
> > 1 and 2 are Lowercase and Shift. The settings depend on your
> > keyboard, language and the use of Keyboard-OPTIONS. The keyboard
> > input is then handed over to the application, in this case
> > LibreOffice.
>
> Yes, but can you then explain why it works in most other
> applications? It works perfectly in all of the text editors I tried
> so far, for instance. There are some difficulties with some web
> browsers, though. Firefox is the one that works best in this aspect.
>

> > For example on my Keyboard set to English (UK) international, many
> > of the European accents, are set using the AltGr, for example ç é á
> > Ç É Á and € (the latter is dependant on the option settings).
> >

> Yes, but you can't type with your arrow keys. I can. Except not in
> LibreOffice. Here are what's on AltGr+<arrow keys> and
> AltGr+Shift+<arrow
> keys>: ←↑↓→ ⬄↹↔⇨
> When using AltGr+<arrowkey|enter|tab|insert|delete|home|end|page
> up|page
> down>, LibreOffice seems to ignore AltGr completely, but not when
> down>using for
> instance AltGr+c which types a ℃ character.
>
> So if the problem is in my system, why does it work in some
> applications? It shouldn't work at all then, should it?
> As I said, it SEEMS like LibreOffice ignores AltGr if it's not
> combined with a key that normally types some kind of character.

Ah, this is the first time that you made it clear that the problematic
behaviour is specific to LO and not to the same keys in other
applications. (at least, the first time you made it clear enough for me
to understand).

What output does xev give when you press those keys with the various
shift configurations?