Re: [libreoffice-users] compose characters

Den ons 15 maj 2019 kl 00:59 skrev Udvarias Ur <udvarias1@gmail.com>:

> Dear Thomas,
>
> OOPS! My bad. I could not find the character you want in the
> "freedesktop.org" list.
>
> However, I did find 2 versions of the character (one with a short bar
> the other with a long bar) in the "Character Map" program. You'll find
> them in the "STIXSizeOneSym" font.
>
> On 2019-05-14 4:35 a.m., Thomas Blasejewicz wrote:
> > Good afternoon
> > I have to enter into a technical text a capital "M" with a short bar
> > on top of it.
> > Some sort of mathematical expression indicating a vector.
> >
> > I know there is something like "composing characters", but I cannot
> > get it right.
> > All I ever get is a diacritical mark either left or right from the M.
> > I would appreciate if someone could point me in the right direction.
> >
> > While googling about this, I also found some talk a "autocorrect
> > options" using : :
> > Yet, I cannot make this work either.
> > I suppose, there is a trick for this one too.
> >
> > Thank you
> > Thomas
> >
> --
> Udvarias Ur
>
> This letter was generated and sent from Thunderbird 60.5.1 on Ubuntu Linux
> 16.04.6 LTS.
>
> Cette lettre a été générée et envoyée à partir de Thunderbird 60.5.1 sur
> Ubuntu Linux 16.04.6 LTS.

Udvarius, as you've discovered, most fonts do not support creating an « M»
via a compose key ; generally speaking it's easier to use such a key to
place a bar over a vowel than a consonant. But there's no need for the OP
to restrict himnself to a certain font ; rather than using the compose key, *in
LibreOffice* one can use the «bar over» button to produce such characters,
as per the instructions in my first reply above to the OP. Moreover, one
can easily copy such a character and paste it into, e g, an epost message ;
that is how I am able to write «M» in this reply....

Henri