Dear Thomas,

The easiest way to do this is to use the "System Settings" program.

This will enable you to use the compose character key with literally everything on your system.

For instructions go to

keyboard layout - How can I enable Compose key? - Ask Ubuntu

https://askubuntu.com/questions/70784/how-can-i-enable-compose-key

Once you've set it up, you can see all the characters that are available to you at

https://cgit.freedesktop.org/xorg/lib/libX11/plain/nls/en_US.UTF-8/Compose.pre