At 17:35 14/05/2019 +0900, Thomas Blasejewicz wrote:
I have to enter into a technical text a capital "M" with a short bar on top of it. Some sort of mathematical expression indicating a vector.

Aren't vectors normally indicated by a bar *under* the letter?

I know there is something like "composing characters", but I cannot get it right. All I ever get is a diacritical mark either left or right from the M. I would appreciate if someone could point me in the right direction.

You need a "combining" character. Suggestions are Unicode U+0304 "Combining Macron" or U+0305 "Combining Overline". Enter your letter (M) and, with the cursor immediately after it, enter the combining character - probably using Insert | Special Character... . You will need to use a font that includes the combining character and handles it properly: not all fonts do.

While googling about this, I also found some talk a "autocorrect options" using : : Yet, I cannot make this work either. I suppose, there is a trick for this one too.

I don't think AutoCorrect helps you create such characters, but it may be useful if you need the combined character often. Instead of inserting the special character each time you need it, you could set up a replacement so that typing a code - perhaps "M#" or "M:" or even "M-" - would autocorrect to what you need. An alternative is simply to type such a code and then perform a global Find & Replace after you have prepared your text, of course.

I trust this helps.

Brian Barker