Musical Neptunian wrote
So I opened up Libreoffice writer in Safe Mode. Then I dragged my docx
file
into it. Then it opens in Libreoffice and allows me to change textboxes. I
am not sure though if this is a good outcome. Because the format is
slightly different; the page reads straight down rather than 2 pages on
the  screen at a time. But for the moment it is good enough.

When you relaunch in Safe Mode you get a default user profile.

 Document view with default profile is "Single page view", your profile was
probably set to "Multiple page view", or pssibly "Book view"-- select from
the three page icons on the Status bar lower right of frame next to the Zoom
slider.

Document formatting can change depending on settings in defaults compared to
customizations in user profile.

Personally, moving between major releases of LibreOffice, I would use the
Safe mode selector to clean up user profile--a complete flush back to
defaults is often the best approach (needing to recreate customizations and
reinstall any extensions), but worth the effort for a clean UX.