At 19:48 09/04/2019 -0400, Tim Deaton wrote:
I'm building a spreadsheet to serve as a food diary. On Sheet1 I have a list of different foods, and on Sheet2 I have what foods I ate at which day and meal. So far, I've only got a couple of days' data posted. As I add more meals, I eat items that are not already on the Sheet1 list. So I add the new items to Sheet1, and sort that table again.

Why do you sort it? Does lasagne really need to come before sausages? Is that how you order them in your pantry?

THAT's when the problem occurs. I just added three new foods to the bottom of the Sheet1 list, then sorted it. Before sorting, the new foods were in cells A38-A40. After sorting, the new entries are all above A30.

Before sorting Sheet1, the item in Sheet2, cell C5 contained this:
=$'Sheet1'.A33
After sorting Sheet 1, that Sheet2 cell reference should say
=$'Sheet1'.A36, but it still says "A33".

Whatever makes you think that your formulae "should" change?

Is this a known problem?

Probably yes - but not with the program. If you really need to sort your original table, you probably need VLOOKUP() in your formulae to locate the appropriate data.

I trust this helps.

Brian Barker