I would have used a text cursor, but, the recorded Macro is trivially modified to remove the font
name, you just need to know that you can do that :-)

sub insertAlphaNoFont
rem ----------------------------------------------------------------------
rem define variables
dim document   as object
dim dispatcher as object
rem ----------------------------------------------------------------------
rem get access to the document
document   = ThisComponent.CurrentController.Frame
dispatcher = createUnoService("com.sun.star.frame.DispatchHelper")

dim args1(0) as new com.sun.star.beans.PropertyValue
args1(0).Name = "Symbols"
args1(0).Value = "α"

dispatcher.executeDispatch(document, ".uno:InsertSymbol", "", 0, args1())

end Sub

Lot easier than another solution (if you really did need the font name), which would look at the
text cursor and pull the current font and use that. Inserting text at a text cursor (view cursor)
should also not have needed a font.