I was contacted off list to discuss this not long after I was able to get the system to work.  See my reply below.  In short, I did eventually get it to work, but I have no idea why.  And the whole experience seemed a bit buggy.

First, I was able to build a merge letter with the wizard, once using an address block and then, after some struggling, I figured out how to add the merge fields directly and NOT using the wizard address block.  (Note that system is not at all helpful when starting with a pre-existing letter - it shifted blocks of text around and basically ruined the letter formatting.)  But then I could not get that system to actually merge the data into letters.  Somehow after closing and reopening that file and de-registering and then re-registering the spreadsheet, the commands for merging to document or printing showed up.  But even then I was still not able to flip through the records to see how they would appear in the preview.  I was able to merge the document to a file, though, and then print that.

Then after similar stumbling around, opening and closing files, de-registering and re-registering databases, I was able to get the merge fields to show up for the labels.  I've now printed the labels.  But again, I have no idea what fixed the problem, and am not at all confident I can do it successfully in the future.

Mail merges are one of the most important aspects of an office suite like this for me.  I really wish it could be made more simple and reliable.

Carl