On Fri, 2018-12-28 at 18:41 +0000, Brian Barker wrote:
At 18:26 28/12/2018 +0100, Harvey Nimmo wrote:
I'm running LO on OpenSuse and I wonder if anyone else can confirm
this error on calc. Multiplying 2048.28*.146 yields correctly
295.54488, ...

Er, that wouldn't be correct with my maths. Do you perhaps mean
2024.28 * 0.146 instead?

... but when rounding down to 2 decimal places, 295.55 is
displayed
(instead of 295.54) (either using ROUND(2048.28*.146,2) or with
field format.

That would indeed be odd. It's what you would get if you repeatedly
rounded the value to fewer digits one by one
295.54488 -> 295.5449 -> 295.545 -> 295.55
- instead of doing it in one go. So that's not the way to do it, of
course.

There is one way that you can create this result, using options at
Tools | Options... | LibreOffice Calc | Calculate. If you have
"Limit
decimals for general number format" ticked and set to "3 Decimal
places", your original result will be displayed - correctly - as
295.545. If you then round *that* value to two fractional places,
you
will properly get 295.55. The situation can be complicated if you
also have "Precision as shown" ticked, which causes subsequent
calculations to be based on what you see in a cell instead of the
underlying, unrounded value.

What happens if you ensure that both of these options are *not*
ticked?

I trust this helps.

Brian Barker

You are right the example should have been 2024.28 * 0.146. Sorry about
that and for the trouble caused!

However, I do not have 'Limit decimals for general number format' set
to anything. (i.e. No tick)
Cheers
Harvey