On Tue, 4 Sep 2018 12:04:48 -0400
charles meyer <reachmeplace@gmail.com> wrote:

My esteemed mates,
Excel seems to have a built-in flaw where if one cell gets too close
to another cell the cell with characters in it creates an extra line
of space under the line of characters.

Ex.  In an Excel cell …  The cell is getting too close

Is there anyway to delete/remove/eliminate that extra space under
characters in a cell in Libre Calc?

Charles, I think that what you mean here is that your workbook
sometimes inserts a word wrap where no word wrap seems to be called
for: that is, you have one line of text and the cell takes up two lines.

This happens when the line of text is very close to the right edge of
the cell. Right?

It's not an extra space under the characters. I believe that it's the
application, whether it's Calc or Excel or whatever, being slightly off
in its calibration of how much room the characters have taken up. If you
delete so much as a period, the cell will wrap correctly. But you
probably need that period.

The wrapping is a visual annoyance, but I have never seen it affect the
contents in any way.

My experience is that if you stick with the default font in the default
blank workbook/spreadsheet, you'll see much less of this. In Windows
(or at least in my installation of LibreOffice in my installation of
Windows 10), Calc's default font is Liberation Sans 10-point. I think
that's what it is in Linux, too, but it has been a while and I'm not
sure. Anyway, I do find that LibreOffice Calc is more reliable about
accurate word wrapping than Excel (with a default of Calibri 10, again,
if I remember correctly). But no spreadsheet application I've ever
tried, going back to Quattro Pro (which has been bundled with
WordPerfect since about 1995), has ever been 100% reliable about word
wrapping.

If I change the default font to something that's easier for me to read,
old geezer that I am, I'm *much* more likely to see those unexpected
word wraps.

If 10-point Liberation Sans (which is quite a bit like Arial) isn't a
good choice to work in for you, maybe you can try zooming the view to
125% or something.

Hope this helps at least a little bit. I'm not a technical wizard by
any means, but I crank out a spreadsheet a week on average (mostly for
inventory and organizational purposes, less so for math or formulas),
and that has been my experience.

Eddie