At 12:04 04/09/2018 -0400, Charles Meyer wrote:
Excel seems to have a built-in flaw ...

I'm not sure we discuss other providers' products here!

... where if one cell gets too close to another cell ...

All cells in a spreadsheet abut all surrounding cells. There is never any question about how close they are: they are always completely close.

Ex.  In an Excel cell …  The cell is getting too close

                             ___________________________

Shall we talk about Calc? The only way this sort of thing could happen, I think, is if the text in the cell actually contains trailing spaces and that the cell formatting is set to "Wrap text automatically".

Is there anyway to delete/remove/eliminate that extra space under characters in a cell in Libre Calc?

Yes:
o Delete those rogue space characters (if you don't need them), or
o Change the font size, or
o Expand the column width appropriately.
o Merge cells appropriately.

Also, Excel does not allow you to change the case size after you've saved the file.

I don't believe that - but we are not talking about Excel; remember?

In Word, you can toggle among small case – initial caps - all caps easily – but not in Excel.

Er, we are not talking about Word, either!

Can you toggle among case sizes in Libre Calc?

Not that I know of. But you could easily copy material into a text (Writer) document, modify it there, and copy it back. If you use Paste Special... and paste it into the text document as HTML you should see a table. That way, you can handle arbitrary ranges in one go, not just individual cells.

I trust this helps.

Brian Barker