Eddie,

Go up to "Tools", "Footnotes and Endnotes" and you can control the
spacing after the Footnote Character from there.

Also, as far as styles are concerned, the number in the footnote itself
is the "Footnote Character" and can be formatted by the character style
of that name.

I'd love to read that paper when you're done. Sounds fascinating.

Virgil