Did a test with the extention.
Pasted 7 columns of a spreadsheet I have with a date column as the 7th
column with paste special as html format.

The sort extention then does sort the date field by the month, but if you
highlight the date column, and set the numeric format to yy-mm-dd or
yyyy-mm-dd, then the sort operation works correctly. After the sort, one can
then reset the format to whatever one wants.

Not sure if it works with other setups, but that does seem to work fine.