Hi :)
That is interesting about the Windows versions of LibreOffice being a bit
different from the Gnu&Linux!  I've always thought they were pretty much
identical.  However this is not the first time that i've heard of
differences so it's probably not just a case of Gnu&Linux being smarter at
installing stuff.

Also i've thought that 32bit tools work fine in 64bit environments.  I
guess that now 64bit is so much the mainstream it is 32bit things that can
increasing expect quirkiness when there is a 64bit version available.

I vaguely remember some stat that 99% of java in LO has been converted to
Python or other languages but that leaves 3rd party Extensions and the
in-built hsqldb back-end in Base and very little else needing java.

Base is supposed to MUCH better when using an external back-end - it's what
Base was originally designed for and it's where Base beats Access.
Annoyingly that seems to be a little known fact that doesn't get picked up
on by people marketing LO.  Oddly hsqldb as an external back-end (ie
installing the most recent version into the OS and getting it from the
hsqldb project themselves, instead of using the old twisted version
hard-coded into LO) tends to be quite fantastic - but it is totally
dependent on Java and Java is a nightmare. So the move away from the
twisted old version of hsqldb to firebird is great news.

As for 3rd party Extensions these are often written as freeware rather than
as Free Software so there are often licensing issues and problems getting
hold of the source-code.  There are/were some really nice Extensions that
have been lost due to lack of maintenance and become out-of-date.  Usually
the dev(s) involved are quite happy to re-release under a GPL or LGPL
license so that other people can keep their code up-to-date but it's often
very difficult to get hold of the dev to ask them.

I'm not sure where else Java is used in LO.  It's annoying that it seems to
be needed for MediaWiki.  Somewhere there used to be a table and pie-chart
showing all the different languages used in LO but i haven't looked for it
lately.  I think it was almost all C, C++ and Python last time i looked.

This has been an interesting thread for me.  It seems quite a bit has
changed over the years and it has been interesting to hear from people who
know the current situations :)
Thanks and regards from
a Tom :)