I have has good luck with an HP laser printer, and even a HP colored Laser [till it died].

Now my laserjet 2300's duplex system is now working well, but it was used when I bought it.  For inkjet printers, I prefer ink-tank versions. I have had good luck with Canon inkjet printers.  Since I use Ubuntu Linux, I first look for ones that support Linux, which requires me to look to the UK site where Canon seems to support Linux, while not supporting it in the USA.

Now, if you are needing a large monthly printing life, and the scanner/copier/fax included, I have seen a lot of good HP printer systems.  It seems that every office I go to has a HP business printer with 2-5 paper trays.

SO, I would thing HP for b&w laser printing and look into the business inkjet printers [up to $1000] that has been designed for 10,000 + pages a month.