I am going to do my reply between the paragraphs.
So read down till the "end" note.

On 02/24/2018 03:51 PM, Tom Davies wrote:
Hi :)
LibreOffice is not like most programs.  It has a large core program with a
few tiny modules / satellites / add-ons / plug-ins / apps that kinda
plug-in to that core.  Removing one or a handful of those modules does very
little to affect the size or complexity of LibreOffice.  At least that is
how i understand it to be.

There is always Abiword or Google-docs.

Abiword focuses on beinga word-processor without having to integrate with
other programs.  It should be smaller, lighter and faster but i've not used
it in the last decade or so.

The only functionality missing from Abiword was that i couldn't make it
default to using MS formats.  Quite ironic since i now rarely use MS
formats - because they are incompatible between different versions of MS
Office = with new versions of MS Office struggling to open older files that
use their format.

I looked at Abiword before.  I do not know why I did not keep in on the computer.

I do have to use MS Office formats.  I do not like to save the documents in the formats with a "x" in it. I use .doc instead of .docx, for an example.  I have had people send me documents that I needed to edit or reproduce - in both Word and Google Docs formats.

As for using Linux i used to be a fairly normal "point and click" user
until after i had used "gnu and linux" for about a year.  In that first
year i spent most of my time still using Windows with only occasional
forays into Linux.  Then i started using Firefox, OpenOffice and other
things on Windows too - and then i found a game on Linux that wouldn't work
on Windows.  That was when my migration to Linux got faster and faster.  So
it took me a couple of years of really not pushing myself before i found
i'd kinda accidentally stumbled into using Linux without working at it
much.
Cost of Windows packages started me on the road to making Linux my default. When my list of needed packages totaled over 10 times greater than my rent, I really looked for an alternative.  Of course the security option over the required security needs in Windows.

I was using Firefox and Thunderbird on Windows, before going to Linux.  I used MS Office with Office 2003 the last one I have.  I started using OOo before it saved files in MS Office formats. When I could not wait till OOo updated again, I found LibreOffice while it was still in their final release candidate. I have been using it ever since. I still have CDs and DVDs of MS and other Windows packages. Some I still have to use since I have not found a replacement.

One package I do not use much, is one I always install on my systems. Artha is a great offline dictionary and more. If I cannot use Writer and its language tools, then Artha is my next line of defense.
I'm not sure what migration route i'd recommend for a blind user.  Perhaps
using a simple virtual machine such as Virtualbox = it's not as scary as it
sound!  It's just a program you can install in Windows and when you
double-click on it the program runs in a window which you can just close to
stop the virtual-machine.

Another route is to install Ubuntu inside Windows as though it was just
another program.  Unlike other distros (Mint, Red-hat, Open-Suse etc) the
Ubuntu people make a "Wubi installer" on their installer Dvd and the Wubi
can be installed on Windows.  So maybe just stick an Ubuntu Dvd or
Usb-stick in and see what options it gives you.

I went to Ubuntu, before I bought my first system with MS Windows NOT installed. I looked at several Live CD/DVD version for a HP laptop that had XP originally installed. Ubuntu was the only Live version that worked with the laptop's sound system. I think that was 9.04. I bought a no OS desktop in late Feb 2010 and used 9.10 till 10.04 came out. I switched to MATE desktop environment when Ubuntu went to Unity.  I liked the GNOME version that was on 10.04, 12.04, till 13.10. I still have one desktop using 14.04 with MATE since every time I tried to install 16.04 the upgrade crashed and kept on crashed.

Actually "Puppy Linux" does something similar but although it's good on
low-spec or older systems it's much less typical of linux distros and it's
not so easy to migrate to other distros

That is just my own opinion but it's too the best of my limited knowledge
about these things.

Regards from
a Tom :)

Since the system would be going to a user that may have used Windows.  Sure there are "lite" versions of Linux.  I have used them once in a while for testing.  I tried some on that old HP laptop in a previous reply paragraph. But what I need to do had me installing more and more packages that stopped it being a "lite" version.

On 24 February 2018 at 18:37, Robert Großkopf <robert@familiegrosskopf.de>