On 12/02/2017 03:00 PM, Ricardo Berlasso wrote:

Did a search and all I found was some mumbo jumbo about legality.

There are no laws against embedding fonts in documents so you can keep
using
the same font across system units.

If a person has purchased a font for their use, then they are allowed to
embed that font into their documents.

I just think that y'all are too lazy to incorporate embedding into your
software.  All other office suites do it.  As far as I have found, only
Open
Office and Libre Office are the only office that won't incorporate font
embedding.

Thus, get font embedding incorporated.  It ain't that difficult.

First, LibreOffice DO have font embedding: just look at File → Properties →
Font tab → check "Embed fonts in the document".

Second, it seems you are not aware of the legal mess that font licensing
can bring to the table. Most proprietary fonts do NOT allow redistribution,
and embedding a full font on a text document (which is NOT the same that
embedding a subset on a PDF) IS redistribution. So, depending on the
foundry you get your fonts from, embedding could be illegal.

Third, there are several ways to embed a font, and some of those ways may
have patents associated with them so they cannot be freely implemented.

So yes, there ARE laws preventing the embedding of certain fonts, and no,
there is no laziness on trying to avoid font embedding, so please check the
license of the fonts you use before sending them to anyone else. In fact,
please check font licenses before USING them on any document. Good luck
with that.

Regards,
Ricardo

I remember this "argument" in the 1990's with what I was working with back then.

I have an Adobe font collection, but I tend to use either MS core fonts or some good free fonts.

Here is what I did back then and now - if there is a specific font that is NEEDED in the document, I make sure the users of the documents will have the links to download the fonts they need. Then it is up to "them" to deal with the licenses.