OK. I'm well out of my depth, but this problem has been around too long unfixed and it needs fixing. If I 'think out loud' here, maybe others could chip in? Sorry this is a bit lengthy.

The problem: a video on an Impress slide starts and finishes with an inappropriate frame displayed. I've made a series of test videos, the frames simply containing the frame number from 0....N-1, and in a selection of formats (.mp4, .flv and ".avi") using avconv. I then embed that video into a slide using Insert|Audio or Video.

A placeholder frame from the video is displayed during editing. This is a frame from within the video, but it isn't always the same one. It depends on the length and format and frame-rate of the video. So, for example, using 15fps, a 50-frame flv video shows the frame #24 (the 25th frame, starting at #0), A 35-frame video shows #12, and a 25-framer shows #0. a long mp4 shows #30, a 10-frame mp4 shows #5, with a selection between. An avi just shows a question mark, presumably because something can't seek into the video (supposition!).

For comparison, a 1500-frame clip at 15fps starts on frame #30; at 25fps, it starts on frame #75.

Much the same also applies to LO6's property page video preview - with the addition that when the seek slider is tweaked, the placeholder is also shown while the slider is being moved (it usually settles down to show a reasonable frame, not always.)

****
The big deal-breaker is that this placeholder frame is shown during the slide show when the slide appears and before the video plays (a long time if there's a slow transition), and also when the video has finished. This means at the very least an annoying flicker at the start, and a usually totally inappropriate ending.
****

Versions don't seem important - it's been there at least since LO3, and is still in LO6. (And, if I recall, even since OOo) FWIW I'm using 5.1.6.2

I'm using linux Mint; I can't check now, but from memory the same sort of issue used to arise on Windows. So presumably the issue lies somewhere in the LO source code, and not for example the gstreamer library.

So, I've been looking particularly at the avmedia directory; I have however failed miserably to find anything at all that might relate to the above observations. (Not helped by my decidedly dated experience of C++ :-{ ). If anyone has any experience/knowledge/insights into whereabouts to look, that would be great.

Sorry that's so long, but I think the symptoms need documenting somewhere. Any thoughts at all would be most welcome - thanks.

--
Mike Scott (unet2 <at> [deletethis] scottsonline.org.uk)
Harlow Essex England