At 08:31 06/11/2017 -0700, Jim Gallagher wrote:
I expect it to work like a table in Excel.

And how is that, please? Exactly where does Excel place empty cells in a sort of numerical values? Empty, 1, 2, 3? 1, 2, 3, empty? 1, 2, empty, 3? We need to know! If Excel doesn't put all empty cells after any cells with values, that would mean - as I mentioned - that you cannot sort a column by clicking the column header, so that the entire column is selected. If empty cells were seen as zero values, they might come before some data, in which case that data would be moved a million-plus rows down! I can't believe any spreadsheet program would behave that way.

I believe others would expect the same as well.

We cannot know whether that is the case until we know precisely what you expect.

It is not logical that sorting the middle column sorts across less rows than on either side.

It is indeed not logical - and it doesn't happen! You have missed the point. In your example, B5 was empty. Contrary to what you believe, row 5 *is* included in your third sort. The final sorted position for the empty value happens to be in the same place: B5. So the values in A5 and C5 retain their places to match. It just happens that row 5 stays - correctly - in the same place after the sort.

It may help you to understand this if you experiment with a column which has a blank cell or cells somewhere other than in the last row of the table. Instead of 1, 2, 3, empty, try 1, 2, empty, 4. See what happens? The values in the row with the empty cell are indeed moved.

To solve your problem, you need first to establish exactly what you want to happen to an empty cell in such a sort. (You haven't admitted this.) Then you may have to insert a suitable value in the otherwise empty cell to arrange what you need.

Brian Barker