On 07/17/2017 12:16 PM, Tim-L--Elmira-NY wrote:

I am having trouble with my Feb 2010 AMD quad core desktop. It started out as Ubuntu 9.10. I now have it set up for 14.04LTS. The big issue with going beyond that - i.e. 16.04 - is the fact that the upgrade craps out during the install process. I have to have 13.10 or earlier to get my Canon MG6220 drivers to work. Then I get to update/upgrade it to 14.04LTS. Then I must stop or crash the install and have problems with GRUB thinking that it had a good install for 16.04 when it does not work at all. At least now I have very little on the 250 GB OS's drive that gets lost. I stopped using it for emails after that. It is just a files server now - sort of.
<snip>

Have you tried linuxquestions.org for support?
http://www.linuxquestions.org/
I use Slackware, not Ubuntu, but I have gotten some good support from lq in the past on a problem or two that stumped me. They may be able to help you with your upgrade installation.

To say something in support of software driver developers, I can imagine it is a daunting task to continue to support old hardware. Much of it is long gone to the trash collection or electronic recycling - especially mechanical devices that wear out, and driver developers probably no longer have an instance of a particular piece of old hardware to test their drivers with. Even if they had, the quantity of different devices and models could become a time-consuming task to test each and every one. In this day of new stuff coming on the market quickly, obsoleting a previous version, I imagine it is quite difficult to keep supporting the old stuff and some things slip through the cracks.

That said, I have quite a lot of old stuff and sympathize with what you are saying. I am satisfied with not buying the latest gadget as soon as it comes on the market and tossing out something that is still working. I always remember the wise words of Adam Osborne: "He, who lives on the cutting edge of technology, gets sliced to bits!"

Girvin Herr