I am having trouble with my Feb 2010 AMD quad core desktop. It started out as Ubuntu 9.10. I now have it set up for 14.04LTS. The big issue with going beyond that - i.e. 16.04 - is the fact that the upgrade craps out during the install process. I have to have 13.10 or earlier to get my Canon MG6220 drivers to work. Then I get to update/upgrade it to 14.04LTS. Then I must stop or crash the install and have problems with GRUB thinking that it had a good install for 16.04 when it does not work at all. At least now I have very little on the 250 GB OS's drive that gets lost. I stopped using it for emails after that. It is just a files server now - sort of.

As for MS Office - well I had one lady make her Word documents as .doc files. Between me and all the people the documents go to uses every version from 2007 to the version out two years ago. Then there is me who has not used MS Office since 2003, used OpenOffice.org and then LibreOffice since then, prefer the .doc format over the .docx format.

That is what you get with the current marketing practice, make it so that you cannot get proper working drivers in Windows after a few years, so you have to keep buying new printers, etc., every few years even if the printer is still running great. It is really a problem with Windows 10 to get my Canon printers [old and new] working with all of their options. Win10 wants "their" drivers instead of what the printer installs. It is even worse to get an all-in-one printer's scanning functions [all of them] to show up in the scanning "app", if the printer's scanning ability is actually registered in the Device's window.