I have a friend who recently bought a new laptop with Windows-10
preinstalled. At my suggestion, she installed the LibraOffice suite
(portable version, from Portable Apps.)

The first time she tried to update an old .xls file from Microsoft Office
2000, she was able to do so with no problems. But the program immediately
pops up an error box when she tries to save the updated file. The error
message is

Error Saving the document <doc name>
General Error
General Input/Output Error

The header bar in the error pop-up confirms that the error is being
generated by LibraOffice, and not by Windows 10.

On further investigation, it turns out that the program won't save newly
created Calc files created by the program itself. Have tried "Save". "Save
As", "Save a Copy". In every case, the same error pop-up is immediately
displayed. So, for example with Save As, you don't get an opportunity to
change the file name, extension, or destination.

Some other interesting observations:

I downloaded the very latest version of the program 5.1.3.2. No impact on
the problem.

The Writer module works just fine. I can modify and save old .doc files, and
newly created files are handled with no problems, regardless of what format
I choose to save them in.

I have LibraOffice installed on my own Windows-7 machine and have never had
any problems with it. And I routinely work with old Microsoft Office files,
both .doc and .xls formats, with no issues at all.

Unless someone can tell me that this is a known bug in LibraOffice, I am at
a complete loss in resolving this problem. Ideas?