On 2015-12-02 17:56, Brian Barker wrote:
At 21:12 01/12/2015 +0000, Mark Bourne wrote:
Perhaps I'm missing something too, but I think I can see where Steve's coming from. For example: - The table is a fixed width or filling the whole page width (and that's how you want it; selecting "adapt table width" is not desirable)

This is your mistake: denying the very technique which will help you. It's a bit like my saying that I like eating Christmas pudding, but I don't want to put it in my mouth. Er, but that's how eating works.

 - Column widths are 1.0", 0.5", 3.0", 3.0", 0.5", 0.5".
- You want to add 2" to column 1 (make it 3.0") and deduct 2" from column 4 (make it 1.0")

To do this, you have to:
- Set column 1 to 3" (column 2 becomes 0.02", column 3 becomes 0.02", column 4 becomes 1.97" - didn't want to change columns 2 and 3)
 - Set column 2 back to 0.5"; column 4 becomes 1.48"
- Set column 3 back to 0.5"; column 4 becomes 1.0" (finally what was wanted)

No, you don't *have* to do this.

It would be much easier to:
- Set column 1 to 3"; no other widths change (columns don't add up to the total width, but that's OK because we're about to fix that)

*You* know that you are going to make further compensating changes but LibreOffice doesn't. If you are espousing such a change to LibreOffice, you need to explain, please, exactly what happens if users click OK at this point. Surely, if "columns don't add up to the total width", you can allow LibreOffice to know this - by allowing it to adapt the table width, albeit temporarily.

 - Set column 4 to 1"

Try this:
o On the Table tab of the Table Format dialogue, change Alignment from Automatic to something else - perhaps Left.
o On the Columns tab, tick "Adapt table width".
o Enter "1" for column 4. (As you acknowledged in a later message, it's helpful to do the reduction first, before the increase.)
o Enter "3" for column 1.
o Untick "Adapt table width".
o On the Table tab, change Alignment back to Automatic.
o OK.

I think Mark intimated this, or so I interpreted having just tried it before your post. You have to make sure that reductions are done first as LO will not allow the table to grow outside the (page width-margins).
Steve
Brian Barker