On 2015-12-02 10:12, libreoffice-ml.mbourne@spamgourmet.com wrote:
V Stuart Foote wrote:

steveedmonds wrote
Although not relevant to the original posters situation, I would like to
see a columns tab under the table dialogue that lists the column widths
where you can type in the width of each column. I frequently have to
tweek tables by stealing width from one column to give to another spaced
a number of columns away and without changing table width or other
column widths. It is quite cumbersome at present. Possibly I am
manipulating columns incorrectly and this can already be achieved easily
enough.

You can already do this as well...

<http://nabble.documentfoundation.org/file/n4167965/TableProperties_Dialog_Columns.png>

Perhaps I'm missing something too, but I think I can see where Steve's coming from. For example: - The table is a fixed width or filling the whole page width (and that's how you want it; selecting "adapt table width" is not desirable)
- Column widths are 1.0", 0.5", 3.0", 3.0", 0.5", 0.5".
- You want to add 2" to column 1 (make it 3.0") and deduct 2" from column 4 (make it 1.0")

To do this, you have to:
- Set column 1 to 3" (column 2 becomes 0.02", column 3 becomes 0.02", column 4 becomes 1.97" - didn't want to change columns 2 and 3)
- Set column 2 back to 0.5"; column 4 becomes 1.48"
- Set column 3 back to 0.5"; column 4 becomes 1.0" (finally what was wanted)

It would be much easier to:
- Set column 1 to 3"; no other widths change (columns don't add up to the total width, but that's OK because we're about to fix that)
- Set column 4 to 1"

Even with this fairly simple example it's a bit tricky, but with more columns at various different widths which may not be nice round numbers it can be quite difficult to ensure the ones you don't want changed finish up with the correct widths.

Mark.

Thanks to Brian, I found tick "Adapt width", make changes as required, un-tick "Adapt width" works as we would hope.
steve